Walking is good for your body, mind, and some people might even claim your soul. It is recommended that you try to walk 10,000 steps each day. Here are a few of the benefits, thus the reasons why walking 10,000 steps a day is a good idea:
First, it improves your overall health. Walking is a low impact exercise that offers a great deal of health benefits. Like any exercise, it can help get the heart pumping, increasing your heart rate, and teaching your heart to put up with more, and become stronger. Regular exercise has been shown in several studies to have a number of great health benefits. It is great for all of your muscles, especially if you vary the type of walking workouts you do, and most importantly, the muscle that keeps you alive, your heart.
Take the steps instead of the elevator.
Second, walking ten thousand steps a day is great for your body in that it helps it produce endorphins, giving you a stronger sense of well being and happiness. This is a great benefit because it means that you will naturally be a happier person. Anyone who is fighting depression or other psychological problems, can find that walking ten thousands steps a day is a great way to kick things up a notch, and often find their treatments to be more effective.
Third, walking ten thousand steps a day is going to help you reach your ideal body weight. If you are underweight it might help you put on some muscle, which would help you gain some. If you are over weight, it will likely help you to shed some pounds, usually fairly quickly. It is a great way to lose weight without having to buy expensive memberships or equipment as well.
The list of reasons why you should walk ten thousand steps a day is long, but the gist of it is that you will look and feel better, and you will be healthier. So, how can you fit extra steps into your day so that you hit 10,000 steps? Consider the following:
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Walk in place while on the phone, while doing dishes, while doing anything that you do standing up.
- Walk in place while watching your favorite television programs, or walk around during the commercials at the very least.
- Park further away when you go places like the grocery store, the office, the doctor, etc. a few extra steps each way can add up quickly.
- Walk places that are close by.
- Take a walk on your lunch break, or during 15 minute work breaks during the day.
- Walk around while you wait for your toast to pop, your coffee to percolate, or your cookies to bake.
- Make a point of going for a walk at some point each and every day.