Babies, while cute and cuddly, can be a real nuisance on a plane if not kept healthy and happy. A crying baby could annoy every person on the plane, and because you are in a confined space, you may find that an unhappy baby can cause you to go somewhat insane. So following are some ideas for how to keep your baby healthy and happy when flying:
1. Make sure their ears pressurize correctly. One of the things that can make a flight really miserable is if your child has a big ear ache. So, you will want to make sure that you do what you need to in order to pressurize their ears correctly. In order to make their ears pressurize correctly, you will want to make sure they are sucking as the plane goes up and down. As the elevation changes, their ears will start to hurt, unless you help them to pressurize. So, if your baby is breastfed, be sure to nurse them as the plane rises, and make sure you nurse as the plane descends. If your baby falls asleep while nursing, tickle their feet, or wiggle them a little. Even if you want them to sleep on the flight, you do not want them to have an ear ache for a week, so keep them awake and sucking while rising and descending. If you do not nurse, then take a bottle along, and make sure they are sucking.
2. Keep them the right temperature. A baby who is too cold or too hot is going to be fussy, and they can’t tell you why. Keep this in mind as you fly; the cabin is usually kept at a temperature that suits all, but you will know your baby’s preferences better than anyone else. Take a blanket in case they are cold, and do not be afraid to strip them down if they are too hot.
3. Keep them in a clean diaper. Dirty diapers are not going to keep your baby feeling happy. If your baby is uncomfortable, they may make everyone else uncomfortable. Make sure you have a steady flow of diapers and wipes on hand in case they need a change.
4. Keep them entertained. One of the best ways to make sure that your baby is healthy and happy is to keep them entertained. Bring along what entertains your baby. Just keep in mind as you pack your entertainers that what entertains your baby may annoy other passengers. So do not bring along toys that make noise, or that are too obnoxious. Pack books to look at, small but baby-safe toys that they can play with, colorful toys to look at, and activities to play with your baby.
5. Keep them full. A baby with a tummy that is full is going to be a much happier baby. So be sure that you bring extra bottles, some snacks such as fruit puffs, dried fruits, or crackers. Bring whatever you need to bring to keep your baby happily fed.
6. Let them sleep. If your baby falls asleep any other time than on the way up or on the way down, it is important to try and help them sleep. If you want to have a healthy happy baby on a flight, be sure that they have a comfortable ability to sleep. Make sure they are warm, fed, in a dry diaper, and that they will be uninterrupted when they sleep.