Cutting your hair at home can be relatively easy, and can save you a lot of money. However, done wrong and it is going to cost you money, time, and a nice head of hair. The perfect haircut at home requires the following:
1. Something simple. Unless you have a license in cosmetology or training in hair cutting, do not try to do something fancy or difficult at home. An “A” line, or fancy cut by someone who is untrained, will show all the flaws, and won’t look very good. So, if you want to get the perfect haircut at home, make sure that you start with a fairly easy cut. A straight cut, a boy’s cut, or something relatively simple.
2. Help the hair be conducive to cutting by making sure it is clean and damp. Wash the hair, towel dry it, and comb through it with a wide-toothed comb. If the hair is not straight, then how can you make sure that it is being cut evenly. Wet hair tends to hang straighter, especially when combed. So, only cut small sections at a time, and make sure it is damp, and that you have combed any snarls or problems out of it. The more you prepare the hair, the better chance you have of getting the perfect haircut.
3. Divide the hair into sections, and have a plan for the cut. While it sometimes seems like your stylist just snips a bit here and there and you walk out with the perfect cut, this is not the case. The fact is that they have a plan, and approach your hair systematically. You need to employ the same practice. Make sure that you have a plan, and know what you are going to do before you start chopping hair.
4. Use a comb to help guide the scissors and keep it straight when cutting. An even cut is important. So, when trying to get the perfect haircut at home, don’t try to eyeball it, instead, use a comb as your guide.
5. Help keep the person whose hair is getting cut to sit still. It is going to be difficult to get the perfect cut at home when you are not a professional, and aren’t as fast as one, especially if the person is young and isn’t prone to sitting still for long periods of time. Turn on a movie, give them a toy, or have someone else help to keep them sitting still and focused.
The perfect haircut at home is possible, but it is best if you practice on small kids who are less inclined to care if their hair looks great or not. They are harder to cut, but this means it will be better practice, and when you have someone who will hold still, you will be able to create the perfect home haircut.