Most experts would agree that if you are going to get your work out in during the day, it is most likely to happen if you do it first thing. However, an early morning workout can be difficult, especially when you really do not want to get out of your warm, comfortable bed. The following are some motivation tips to get you out of that bed and into the gym, or wherever you should be to get in an early morning workout.
1. Find a friend. You are always more likely to do something if other people are counting on you and most activities are more enjoyable when you have someone to do them with. It is far simpler to go for a jog first thing in the morning if you have someone to talk to and suffer through it with.
2. Do something you enjoy. It makes no sense to get out of bed early in the morning to do something you hate. So, if you do not want to run, then do kickboxing instead. If swimming is not your forte, try biking. The point is to find a form of exercise you like and do it. You will be far more likely to get out the door if you’re going to do something you have fun doing.
3. Set an alarm. It is easy to justify not getting your workout in because you slept late and won’t have time during the day. Make sure that you get out of bed by setting an alarm clock. Set a second one if you are prone to hitting the snooze button, ignoring it or turning it off and going back to sleep.
4. Take a class. A great way to get motivated to get your early morning workout in is to take a class. Most gyms offer spinning, yoga, aerobics and other classes in the morning, which means you have plenty of options at a set time so your workout will be planned and you’ll have other people to workout with. This is a great tool for motivation, and you are far less likely to miss it if you go regularly, know the instructor and get to know your fellow exercisers.
5. Pay attention to the benefits of exercise, including increased energy and a decreased appetite. One of the biggest motivators for people to hit the gym, especially for an early morning workout, is better health and increased vitality. If you work out in the morning, the effects are likely to stay with you all day. You will have more energy, less of an appetite and, often, junk food will be less appealing. You will drink more water and your body will feel fresh and alive. While working out too hard will tire you out some, in general a morning workout leaves you feeling invigorated throughout the day.