A better night’s sleep can be very elusive for many people. There are many reasons as to why you or someone you know may not be getting a good night’s rest. Here are some changes you can make that may be able to help you or that special someone else to get a better night’s sleep.
Sight can directly affect your natural instincts for when to be awake and when to go to bed. When you see the night approaching your body automatically starts to shut down for the night making it easier for you to fall asleep. To get a better night’s sleep you may want to change a few things around the house so your sight starts to see that it is time for bed.
· Change the arrangement of the bedroom furniture around the room. Move the bed to a place that doesn’t allow a lot of light into the room or a lot of outside noises.
· Bedroom lights can be changed to a lower wattage bulb. Dimmers can also be used in the bedrooms to give the room a darker and more calming atmosphere.
· Have good window coverings. Blackout shades or heavy drapes are great ideas to cover the windows. Not only will the shades block out light but it can also decrease any sounds that you might hear.
· Night lights for hallways and bathrooms are a better idea than turning on the overhead light in the middle of the night. Bright lights can trick your body into thinking it is day time and it will be harder for you to get back to sleep.
· Try nighttime eye shades. There are plenty to choose from to find one that will fit your personality and needs.
Sound can also hinder you in the quest for a good night’s sleep. You can actually still hear in your sleep. Even the slightest noise can keep you from entering into a deep sleep that will help you to feel more relaxed. Here are a few changes that you can make to cut down on the sounds in your room in order to get a better night’s sleep.
· Add a music player. Nature and ocean sounds are relaxing and can help you get a better night’s sleep. The music can even drown out other night time noises that may have been keeping you awake.
· Buy a white noise machine to change the amount of noise that can come into your room. These machines will help cover any noises making your bedroom silent and helping you to get the deep sleep you are craving.
· Use some good ear plugs if you find that changing to music or a white noise machine does not work. Ear plugs come in many different shapes and sizes now and it can be very easy to find some that will work for you.
You can also change your eating habits in order to get a better night’s sleep. Changing what you eat and when you eat will help you to change how well you sleep.
· Eating tuna, pumpkin, artichokes, almonds and bananas can help your body digest foods better and give you a better night’s sleep.
· Eat a small serving of a carbohydrate and a milk product together to help induce sleep.
· Change how much caffeine you drink or eat. Try not to have any caffeinated products four to six hours before bedtime.
Change your bedtime routine. Make your bedtime routine more relaxing to try and get a better night’s sleep. Refrain from stressful activities or those that make you think a lot; it can be hard to get your mind to stop. Just a few changes made to your bedtime routine can help you to get a better night’s sleep.