Naming a baby can be an overwhelming task, especially since they name you give them sticks with them for years. It can be something that brings ridicule, something that is embarrassing, that helps them feel good about themselves, etc. Basically, you have to make sure that you choose a name that fits your child, and does not bring them undo frustration. Here are ten tips to help you name your baby:
1. Do you want your child named after you or your spouse? If you are going to name your baby after yourself, then it is definitely something to consider when choosing a name. It is common practice, and often leaves a legacy for them.
2. Are there any significant names in your family? You may not want to name your child after yourself, but you may still want to consider a family name, or a name that has significance to your family. If the gender fits and you have a name you like, then consider using this significant family name.
3. Is there someone who means a lot to you? Another good choice for a name is one of someone who you look up to, or admire and respect. This can be someone you know, or it can be someone you admire from a distance, like a celebrity or politician. Usually naming your child after someone means giving them a solid name.
4. Are there names you can eliminate because they don’t work with your last name? Most people have seen the movie “The Wedding Singer” and know the Julia Gulia reference. It is humorous in the movie, but in real life a child whose name is rhyming like that, or when put with their last name makes them an easy target for teasing, may not find it so funny. So, if your last name is Mountain, don’t name your child Rocky. If your last name is Good, don’t name your daughter Bea, or any name that can be shortened to it. Basically, think about kids and teasing.
5. Are there any names you particularly like? Sometimes the best name for your baby is just a name you like. It may roll off the tongue well, or be something that you have liked since you were a kid.
6. Do you have a role model? You can name your child after your role model, or take something about them to name your child after.
7. Use the internet to determine popular baby names. Why not look up the trendiest names for the year? Or the most popular names? Or top names from the previous year. You can either avoid these names, or use them as inspiration.
8. Use baby books to find out the meaning behind certain names. It can be great to give your baby a name with meaning. Maybe you tried for years to get pregnant, and never succeeded, and then when all hope was lost you conceived. You may name your baby Hope, or a name that means hope. Amala means hope in Arabic and is a cute name for a girl.
9. Does your baby look like a ______________? Sometimes you just need to look at your baby and decide what he or she looks like. You may have thought Tom would be a good name, but when the baby comes he just looks more like a Sam.
10. Trump card with spouse until you agree on a name. Of course, when naming your baby, be sure you and your spouse both get to have a trump card to rule out any names you really just can’t stand.