Have you been reading your favorite book or working on your computer recently and noticed the type seems a little fuzzy? Are you concerned about whether or not you need corrective lenses? A cheap and easy fix if you only have a vision problem when you read is reading glasses, or readers. Let’s take a look at some of the things you can do to get the reading glasses you need.
First, take a look at these situations and see if you can see yourself in any of them:
1. Have you ever pushed your computer monitor back or tried to adjust it so you can see it better? If you’ve done this, chances are you need reading glasses.
2. Do you hold things at arm’s length in order to read them? If you find yourself doing this, you need reading glasses.
3. Do you squint in order to see print or online reading material? If you can’t see printed material clearly without squinting, it is definitely time to take a look at getting some reading glasses.
4. Do you search out printed reading material in large print editions? You don’t need reading material with larger print, you simply need reading glasses.
5. Do you pretend that you can see things when you can’t because you’re embarrassed? Don’t pretend that you can see, get some reading glasses. If you get frequent headaches, eyestrain or eye fatigue while reading or working on the computer, then, again, you probably need some reading glasses.
Now that you know you need reading glasses, let’s take a look at the next steps.
First, get an eye exam. There are plenty of places that offer free eye exams, and most vision insurance gives you a certain number of free exams a year.
Second, if you have insurance, see what your insurance covers so that you do not pay for something you can get for free. Most vision insurance pays for reading glasses.
Third, choose a good strength of reading glasses. There is a dioper test you can take to determine the strength of reading glasses that you need. If you just need low power glasses, choose a low strength pair at your local drug store.
As you age, your eyes start to lose some of their elasticity in the crystalline lens and, because of this, they lose their ability to focus on things that are in close range. This is an unavoidable condition, so if you see yourself in the situations above, you are ready for some reading glasses. Today you can get readers in a wide variety of fashionable styles and colors. Lasik surgery can’t fix the condition that reading glasses correct. You may need to wear reading glasses over contacts for myopia and other vision problems.