Even if you love to exercise, it can be difficult to get out of the bed in the morning to workout. However, most experts agree that the best time of day to exercise, in order to ensure that you do so, and also in order to gain the most benefits, is early morning. So, consider the following motivation tips for early morning workouts.
1. Take a class. Many gyms offer a number of classes you can take, some starting as early as 5 am. So if you need to workout early in the morning and you find it difficult to pull yourself out of bed, pay for a class or enroll in one. The obligation to follow through, and the fact that you paid for it, will often be just the motivation you need to get out of bed and to the gym.
2. Find a friend. One of the best tips for getting motivated to get out the door for an early morning workout is to have a friend to work out with. If you are planning to meet them, you are less likely to let them down, which means you are more likely to go and workout. While most people will not let a friend down, if they promise themselves to go workout, they have no problem letting themselves down. So find someone who enjoys the same kind of exercise who is willing to commit to meeting you to workout each morning.
3. Do something fun. Since there are a million ways to get exercise, don’t do something you don’t enjoy. If you hate being in the gym, then don’t hit the gym. Instead find a mountain trail to run, a pool to swim in or a path to bike or hike. If you don’t like feeling like you’re working out, consider playing basketball or participating in some other sport that still requires you to move so you’re getting a workout without exercising, per se. If you need something structured, consider buying P90X or something similar so that you have instruction. Find something you love and do it!
4. Set an alarm. You will never get out the door for an early morning workout if you do not set an alarm to get you up in the morning. However, it is easy to set a snooze button, so try and disable it, or find a way to not push it. For example, set an alarm and put it across the room so that you actually have to get out of bed to turn it off.
5. Pay attention to the benefits of getting an early morning workout. Working out helps you sleep better, it increases energy and decreases your appetite, among other benefits. If you work out in the morning, you will burn more calories all day long. You will find that your energy is better, and you are happier all day long.