Child development experts stress that preschoolers learn best when they play. Therefore it makes sense to get the best preschool toys to support their growth and development. Bu for parents and other adults who are trying to buy their preschooler the best educational toys (that still have a lot of fun) it can be overwhelming. Here are guidelines for preschool toy shopping:
- All preschool toys should be well-constructed, age appropriate and safe. Do not rush into impulse buying. Checking online for guidelines and reviews of a particular toy can help you determine if it is the right one for your child.
- The best preschool toys are toys which support open-ended and creative play, such as: pretend play toys and art supplies. However when buying toys for pretend play, try to get toys with low-realism and if possible, as unformed as possible. For instance, if you give your daughter generic dolls instead of name brand dolls she can then end up with unlimited scenarios for play. If you give your child a variety of dolls and stuffed toys together with boxes, sticks, cups, ribbons and fabrics, then the play is going to be even better. When your preschoolers have pretend play, it is also important to try to support it by not interfering with the play. Let them have unstructured play time that goes where their imagination takes them.
- You may want to consider adding some preschool toys which also support cognitive and physical development to the mix. If you want to get this kind of toys for your preschooler, you will want to find the best preschool toys which address as many developmental issues as possible and can be played in a variety of ways and grow with the child.
- At this stage, you can also start adding preschool education toys to the mix as well. It is important to note that while preschoolers learn best through play and games, you should still keep the learning process informal and as hands-on as possible. Experts advise that it is also a good idea to limit the number of electronic toys and educational DVDs or computer games that your child owns. These things, no matter how educational they have been marketed as, are not always the best preschool toys.
- You may want to consider shopping online to get your best preschool toys. You will get a better selection through the internet and it’s not as stressful or tiring as shopping locally. Or at least, do your research online before going to your local toy shop to purchase the item. It is also important to note that contrary to what people have believed, shopping online is safe as long as the shop directs you to the secure payment page. Shopping online is extremely easy as you can make your selections and then have the toys shipped directly to you at home avoiding the driving, parking and crowds that always seem to accompany toy shopping. You should also use credit cards instead of debit cards online, since credit cards have fraud protection.
- Many new parents are especially hesitant about the right toys to buy their preschooler. Be sure to ask family and friends for recommendations as to what has worked for their child. You can also check online for reviews of the toy. But most of all keep in mind that you know your child the best and you can determine what kind of toy will interest them and provide hours of fun. Remember no matter how popular a particular toy is it still may not be the right one for your preschooler.
A simple doll will go a long way in a child’s play.