Are you ready to decorate a birthday cake? Just because you aren’t a professional baker doesn’t mean you can’t learn how to make a fun birthday cake. In fact, the best birthday cakes are the ones that are home made because they taste better and you get to build some fun memories when you bake it. How can you find ways to decorate a birthday cake to make it stand out from the traditional square or rectangular cake? Here are some fun tips on how you can sweeten up your birthday cake:
- Bake the cake with surprises inside it. This is a great way to add a little flavor to the cake. Depending upon the type of cake you bake, you can bake some candy like chocolate into it. You can also bake some other things inside of it. Have you ever had a Mardi Gras cake? They bake a plastic baby inside and whoever gets the baby in their cake has to make the cake for the next Mardi Gras. You can do this with your birthday cake and tell the person that gets the baby or another plastic thing that you get to open their present first, or you can give them a prize for finding the baby.
- Top the cake off with Skittles, Starburst, and your child’s favorite candy. This is a great way to add to the color of the cake. You can use Starburst and Skittles to make a rainbow on the cake.
- Do you have a hunter in the family? A fun idea for their cake is to get some chocolate covered raisins to decorate the cake and get an edible moose, deer, or bear. The raisins will be the animal poop which will make for a fun joke at your significant other’s birthday celebration.
- If you have an animal lover in the family, get some nuts and make a squirrel cake. You can find edible squirrel designs online or you can paint one on the cake. Make a bushel of nuts for the squirrel to eat on the cake. It’s a fun way to change up the traditional look of a cake.
Try topping your cake with candy pieces.
Get your creative juices flowing if you want to create a fun birthday cake. There are a ton of things you can do to make your birthday cake unique and one of a kind. Here are some candies and other things you can experiment with to make a fun cake:
- Gummy Bears are always welcome on birthday cakes.
- Teddy Bear graham crackers can be used to represent people. You can make a Bernstein Bear birthday cake using the graham crackers. Bake a cake and cut the top to look like a tree, this is a lot of fun for kids that are fans of the book.
- Gummy worms. Do you have a little boy that lives to play in the dirt? Use some gummy worms to climb out of the chocolate birthday cake. This is a fun, creative way to make a cool birthday cake for your son.
- Swedish fish are another great candy to add to a birthday cake. Make a swimming pool fish bowl or a lake and add a few Swedish fish to the cake to make it a party.
- Tootsie rolls work great when you need to make cars, surfboards, and other cool shapes to add to the birthday cake.
- Licorice always adds to the theme of a birthday cake. Use it to make lines and separate the cake into different sections.
- Don’t forget to use jelly beans on the cake.
- If all else fails, use sprinkles!