Your toddler has changed dramatically from a little child into a more grown up preschooler. Children this age love to play outdoors and are highly active. At this age your child can walk along a curb, climb up the steps of a slide, play on a monkey bar and ride a bicycle. It is also at this time that sports can begin to become a part of your child’s life. He or she can learn to swim, skate, ski and use a trampoline making outdoor toys even more fun and important in your child’s life. Studies show that children who engage in physical activity from a young age are much less likely to suffer from weight issues and other health concerns later on in life. So if you are looking to find a fun outdoor toy (that may have some health and developmental benefits) here are some of the best outdoor gift toys for children ages 4-6.
- Water guns and sprayers-Kids love the idea of chasing each other with water guns and sprayers. Today there is a variety of choices for this type of toy. Aliens that shoot water from their eyeballs, long noodle sprayers and water guns that look like they have come from the future. What every type of water gun you get for your child be sure to consider their size and coordination since this is most likely a toy that they will want to be able to carry and run at the same time!
- Water slides-This is a low-tech and yet fun-filled option if you do not have a pool. Since summer usually means water fun this water slide may be ideal for your backyard. Most inflatable water slides have a small landing pool at the end. Be sure to choose one that is easy to inflate and use. It is important to keep in mind that adult supervision is required since experts advise never leaving children this young alone with any body of water.
- Bubble blower toys-Kids love playing with bubbles. Today there has never been a better choice of bubble toys. From fan driven machines that blow the bubbles to large bubble shooters that allow kids to engage in bubble wars there is a bubble toy for every child’s wishes. Best of all these toys work especially well outside eliminating the chance of soapy bubble spills on inside floors. For lots of fun set a bubble machine to blow bubbles continually and encourage your 4-6 year olds to pop the bubbles before they hit the ground!
- Wheelbarrow and gardening tools-Kids this age love to help and mimic the roles they see around them. Enlist your child’s help in yard work with a child-sized wheelbarrow and gardening tools. Today you can find these tools in many toy stores and department stores in brightly colored styles that will attract your child to play with them. Working alongside your child can be lots of fun or let them engage in imaginative play with their “outdoor tools”.
- Out door barbeque and picnic table-Since summertime means eating outdoors let your little one help with his own barbeque. These colorful toys are ideal for the garden, most child sized barbecue’s have a pretend gas tank, wheels, realistic “fire” lights and fun grill sounds. Some even include pieces of play food and utensils. Kids love to pretend that they are dishing up yummy hamburgers on the realistic fire that actually lights up. These kid sized barbeques are a perfect buy for little kids to make them feel like they are grilling and barbequing just like grown ups! For added fun you can include a child-sized picnic table and benches to provide a special place for your child to eat with friends. Most of these child-sized picnic tables come with attached benches making them easy to move indoors for some rainy day fun.