Each year, once winter hits, it becomes flu season. It seems like it spreads through offices, classrooms, church groups, and the like. It seems almost inevitable that you, or someone in your family, will get the flu. The flu comes with all kinds of unhappy symptoms. The following list has seven ways to bolster defenses and dodge the flu. It is possible; try the following:
• Healthy eating. Your diet plays a role in how well your body works. A body that is not working to its full potential has higher risk of a lowered immune function, and susceptibility to illness. The virus that is influenza is more likely to be caught by someone who is eating a poor diet filled with fatty, sugary, high sodium, low nutrition foods, than someone focused on eating whole grains, fresh vegetables and fruits, and the like. Eat the foods that will fuel the body and help it be its healthiest, rather than foods that belabor the body.
• Hand washing or sanitizing. Your hands touch things all day long, and then touch your face, other people, etc. You can be a carrier and spreader of a flu virus unless you are actively washing your hands every hour or so. When you wash your hands, you should spend a few minutes in front of the sink, use soap, hot water, and get a good lather going. If your hands get dry easily from hand washing with soap, then go every other hour using hand sanitizer. The thing is, not washing your hands is the fastest way to get sick.
Hand washing is the single most effective way to dodge flu.
• Sleep 8 hours. A body’s immune system will be depressed if the body is not properly rested. A depressed immune system can’t ward off illness. So, if you want to bolster your defense against the flu, then be sure to get your beauty sleep. If your body is telling you it is worn out and tired then take a nap. Listen to what your body tells you about the amount of rest it needs, and act accordingly.
• Drink water. A body is made up of cells, and in order for those cells to be healthy they need to be hydrated. A dehydrated body is often sluggish, and doesn’t feel well. A dehydrated body means that the body is not functioning at full capacity. If you want to dodge the flu, you have to give your body every chance you can. So, be sure to get plenty of fluids during the day.
• Avoidance. If you want to dodge the flu, avoid people who have it. If you want to bolster your defenses against the flu, avoid anyone who is sick, no matter what they have. You can do this by not going out in public more than you have to, by wearing a snug fitting face mask, and any number of other ways. However, if you expose yourself to someone who has the flu, you are more likely to catch it.
• Flu shot. Dodge the flu by getting immunized against it. It is not a guarantee that you won’t get it, but it certainly can help, and will prepare your body to fight it. So, do everything you can to help your body ward off illness, including getting a seasonal vaccination.
• Clean surfaces. The flu virus is not just passed by people, it can live on toys, counters, computer keyboards, and more. So, if you want to avoid the flu, be sure to sanitize shopping cart handles before you use them, wash your sheets each week, and keep your home clean.