Road trips can be nightmares, or they can be a lot of fun. Whether you take kids or adults, the following are some tips to ensure a great road trip>
1. A working vehicle. Breaking down, getting stranded, or spending extra money not in the plan are all ingredients of a not so fun trip. So, make your road trip great by ensuring your car is going to work, your tires are not going to pop, and that you have backup (like a motor club) to help you out if there is a problem.
2. Good directions. While getting lost can be a fun adventure, being lost on a road trip when you need to check in at your hotel, when your kids are tired of the car, or when you really just want to relax, is no fun at all. So, have directions, make sure they are updated and good.
3. The right seating. When you take kids on a road trip, you are asking for trouble if you do not carefully select your seating arrangement. Put bigger kids or adults next to kids that need help. Do not put kids that argue or fight next to each other. Put kids that get car sick near windows, and not in the back of the car.
4. Things to do. Having things to occupy your hands and time in the car while on a road trip is a big plus. Have a few activities for each person. A book that is an audio book that the whole car can listen to is a fun suggestion. A portable DVD player is another good suggestion, just be sure to bring a variety of movies. An iPod can entertain a teen or child for quite a while. Some coloring books and colored pencils (markers make a mess, and crayons melt), is also fun.
5. Food and beverages. Bring a cooler with some snacks, and some cold drinks. The climate in the car makes people thirsty, and a long time on the road can inspire hunger. So, have some healthy snacks like cut up fruit and veggies, and have some fun treats, like fruit snacks, starbursts, etc. for when you want a treat. Avoid chocolates, and things that can melt, or make a huge mess.
6. Climate control. Set the climate at a temperature that everyone in the car can handle. If it is too cool for some, shut their vent or point it a different direction. Bring jackets, light blankets, etc. to keep people in comfortable temperature.
7. Stopping occasionally. When you are on a road trip, you usually have a destination, but that does not mean you can’t make the process of getting there fun as well. One excellent way to have a great road trip is to plan sightseeing, and adventures along the way to break up the monotony of the drive, and give you a chance to stretch your legs.
8. The right attitude. A road trip with the right attitude is an exciting adventure. A road trip with the wrong attitude is hours of hell trapped in a car with too many people. Have the right mindset and you will enjoy it, even if things go wrong.
9. Baby wipes, throw up bags, etc. People get car sick, so make your road trip better by having plenty of trash bags, plastic bags for puke, and baby wipes to clean up spills, puke, and messes. This makes the whole trip more enjoyable for everyone.
10. Room in the car. Do not have so much in the car that you barely fit in it yourself, especially if you plan to spend a lot of time in the car. If you want to have a great road trip, don’t overpack the car, it will just be a hassle.